Traditionally, the economy of León has had a focus on the tertiary sector, with the provision of services as the key industry in wealth creation for both the province and the municipality. Besides the service sector, the agri-food industry has been an important source of economic wealth and job creation over past decades.
However, in recent years there has been a progressive concentration of companies from non-traditional emerging industries, making León an ideal destination for innovative and cutting-edge businesses in the following fields:
- Biotechnology and pharmacy
- 3D Printing
- Unmanned aerial vehicles technology
- Big Data
These sectors find León attractive owing to the presence of various entities that facilitate continuous innovation and growth in an increasingly changing and uncertain business environment.
Currently adding value to new business projects are:
- The Spanish Cybersecurity National Institute (INCIBE)
- The Castilla y León Supercomputing Centre (FCSCL)
- The Biotechnology Institute of León (INBIOTEC)
- The Flight Simulation Center of the University of León
- The Automation and Manufacturing Institute of the University of León